# O365 MFA Account Setup
Created At: 1/3/2019 2:15:44 PM
Updated At: 1/3/2019 2:21:41 PM
Original Doc: 355157-o365-account-setup
Original ID: 355157
Prepare a bit by downloading the Authenticator application to your mobile phones which will be required to complete the setup to your account.
Enroll Account for MFA
The user is required to enroll for MFA once the feature has been enabled for their account by an administrator. The user should sign in to Office 365 as usual with their username and password, and then click Set it up now on the sign in screen.
On the Additional security verification screen, select Mobile app from the menu below Step 1: How should we contact you?
Select Receive notifications for verification
Click Set up to setup the Mobile Authenticator app
Change this to Notify me through appor Receive notifications for verification(not sure which terminology is used)
Download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app on your iPhone or Android.
Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone and click Scan Barcode.
Use the camera on your phone to scan the barcode in the Configure mobile app dialog. You’ll then need to wait a couple of seconds while the app activates the new account.
Click Finished in the browser window.
Back on the Additional security verification screen, click Contact me.
You’ll receive a notification on your phone. Open it and you’ll be taken to the Microsoft Authenticator app. Click Approve to complete the sign-in process.
Click Close in the Microsoft Authentication app.
Web-based, mobile apps, and properly configured recent versions of Outlook can use Microsoft Authenticator app verifications for MFA logins, but applications such as the native mail apps for iPhone or Android require an app password. The final step provides you with an app password for these apps.
Finally, copy the app password by clicking the copy icon to the right of the password, and paste it somewhere safe. Click Finished.
You’ll be prompted to sign in again, this time by verifying the login using the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Adjusting settings after initial MFA configuration
There are at least 2 ways for a user to access their already-configured MFA settings:
- Browse to https://myapps.microsoft.com and sign in with your O365 credentials.
- Click on your name in the top right corner, and click Profile
- Click on Additional security verification
- While signed in to the Office 365 portal, click on your user name in the top right corner, then click My account, and then click on Manage security & privacy
- Click on Add or change your security verification settings
- Click on Update your phone numbers used for account security
Regardless of which method you used, you should now be at the settings page.
- On this page, you can choose again whether to “Notify me through app” (the most convenient, as you cell phone prompts and you just tap Approve) or “Use verification code from app” (less convenient, because you have to open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone to find the 6-digit code you have to type into the login screen).
- All other authentication methods are disabled for Zumasys other than the Authenticator app. You can click Configure on this screen if you need to reconfigure the Mobile Authenticator app.